Sunday, November 25, 2007

Ocean Baptism







One week ago today, I had the wonderful experience of witnessing this ocean Baptism in Florida, just off the Sunrise Blvd. in Fort Lauderdale. It had been going on for some time while I was busy doing family photographs for my nephew and sister. My sister Deb hollered at me to look, thinking it was a wedding. I didn't pay much attention at the time as it was farther down the shore. But as we headed back to our vehicles, Laurie and I came upon it as a man was finishing his 'dunking' and we started watching. I immediately started photographing the entire scene, then Laurie, being the ever polite person she is, reminded me that maybe I should ask permission to photograph the event. I asked a couple women and they said it was OK.
Then the elders led a young girl out to the water and here are a few of those photos. While I love the last one where she is smiling and laughing after three dunkings, I think the first one is the most powerful of the images. She has her eyes covered and the men are leading her into the ocean. It was so breathtaking to watch and it felt like my National Geographic moment. I had never witnessed an ocean Baptism before and the waves were powerful enough that the men were having a difficult time standing in the water and holding onto the little girl. I asked one of the women in the crowd how old the girl was and they said about 10 or 11 years old. It was difficult to hear over the preaching, praying and hallelujahs, but I believe they said it was the New Covenant Church. I'd love to be able to send the young girl a set of photos.
So, here's my first Sunday post of the day. I have another one coming, also of a spiritual nature. I hope to make my Sunday posts a bit more meaningful then the other daily posts I share. It might only be an image of the beauty of nature around us with an inspirational quote or verse. I hope you enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog toni! I came over here to take a peak and I'm drooling over your pictures! What talent you have! I love this Ocean baptism, never seen anything like it.

Thanks again for visiting, and please don't laugh at my sorry attempt at photography while your perusing my blog ;) LOL!

Toni said...

Thanks for visiting Tara! I enjoy reading your blog. You offer words that make me stop and think. Blessings to you today!

Unknown said...

That's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

uh... luv this !