Sunday, November 19, 2006

Roses from a client, tribute to Moms!

I love roses! Well, yes, most people do! But my love extends back to my childhood. My mom was known for her elaborate, very well manicured rose garden. It was huge and the roses were all in rows and stood taller than me. I found out after I was grown that she had help! She had a gardener. Way to go Mom!

My mom died almost two years ago on New Year's Day. The same day as her brother. The same day as my mother-in-law died. Nearing the holidays, both my husband and I were feeling a bit down, so when a recent client gave me these roses on Friday, just because, I knew I'd need to do something nice with them. I plan on giving her a housewarming gift with one of these as soon as her and her husband are finished building their new home! ............... I love to photograph flowers. I'll even stop and raid stranger's gardens to get my 'fix' of floral photography. I have quite a few award-winning images displayed on my dining room walls. I haven't entered any fairs or art festivals in years, but still love sharing my floral images. ................

I found some nice red toile fabric earlier this week and this was the perfect background for the red roses out of the bunch. All these were shot using available natural light streaming in my back door window. Using my washing machine as my table, I think I've found a new favorite location to photograph flowers! I usually use one of my west facing windows. ........ Climbed up on my step ladder to get this shot. The vase, barely seen, is just a cheap plastic red vase I found at the Goodwill store for like .39 cents. The photo below is the same one, I just burned in the background some to add a bit of pink to the image. ......
Did you know that Pier 1 has chosen the colors red and pink for their Christmas theme this year? I love Pier 1! .............
This last image I played with to come up with a "Victoria magazine" style image. What do you think? That magazine is no longer in print and I have several old copies. I love the photographs in them and the wonderful old prose combined with their images. The milk glass vase behind the roses is also another Goodwill find. I get a lot of my 'props' from there to use in my fine art images.

I hope you enjoy these images as much as I enjoyed photographing the roses. I will be offering these as greeting cards and gallery size prints or canvas. If you want to purchase anything, just e-mail me: photosbytonih@yahoo.com

No comments: