Monday, January 05, 2009

Robin McGraw, Oprah and Oklahoma Lt. Gov. Jari Askins

Those who offer hope and inspiration:

The three women I mentioned in the title are the inspiration for this post. It started this morning when I got a return call from Oklahoma Lt. Gov. Jari Askins. I have been excited about this all day! I've known Jari for years and she has announced her bid to run for Governor for the state of Oklahoma! Whoohoo! When she was running for the Lt. Gov. position, I actually did some photographs of her at her church for her campaign. It was wonderful and I've learned so much since then as a photojournalist, photographer, writer and more. Jari is one of those people that always remembers your name and always seems so level headed and professional. Yet she's one of the kindest, warmest women. So after talking with her on the phone this morning for comments for our headline story, I just knew today would be a good day. She just seems to have that effect on people.
I didn't have much to do at work, got most of it knocked out by noon and I came home from work early today and actually accomplished a few things. The biggest being my desk and cleaning it! How can I be productive when my work station at home is a cluttered pile?! With that out of the way, then I felt like I could do more.

After, I sat down and watched a show that I normally wouldn't watch, The Doctors. A talk show, but it was their guest that prompted me to sit and watch. Robin McGraw.
When I heard her name, I knew it would be worth watching. I've not had the opportunity to meet her (well, I may have, memory fails me on that one). It might have been when I did a story on Cindi Broaddus and some trees were donated to the local park in Cindi's name. I'll have to find that article and scan it in.
(See another story here: http://www.drphil.com/articles/article/181 {not mine}. Cindi and Robin are sisters and Robin has been to Duncan many times. Her new book hits the stands tomorrow and I am going to put my name on the library list to read it. I'd go buy it, except it's part of my pledge to not buy books this year since I have so many backed up that need reading (see Sunday's post!).
But the theme of the show was just making sure you take time for yourself. This is so true. If you don't take time for yourself, then you can't take care of your family. Robin said it's not being selfish. It's just important.

Then I turned it to Oprah after watching the entire hour and there was Oprah talking very candidly about this past year, her weight gain and tiredness and thyroid issues. And her lack of joy. Wow. Oprah, get your joy back! If I can do it, so can you! I know what she's talking about. Years ago, I was getting sicker and sicker and it got to where I couldn't even lift a coffee cup to wash it. Just horrible. I was even afraid to go to sleep for fear I'd never wake up. Can you say INSOMNIA?
I didn't know what was wrong. Some events opened up doors and I went to a doctor and sure enough, it was my thyroid. I even felt negative, empty, poor me pity, all of that.
I made some serious changes, eating habits, sleeping, work, etc... I believe those saved my life. I'm slowly incorporating exercise back into my life.
Which brings me to this next step. Mind you, getting "YOU" back doesn't happen overnight.
But listening to people like Robin McGraw and other inspirational people, Joyce Meyer, joycemeyer.org; and Nicole Johnson (freshbrewedlife.com) are the newest thing for me to add joy and the "me factor" back into my life. It's the encouragement and calmness that these women exhibit and I think to myself, that's awesome! Plus, moving into empty nest syndrome, I think, wow, there is so much that I want to do. For myself, my husband, my children and grandchildren. Yet in a different way than I've done for the past 20 years. I think, wow, why didn't I do this a long time ago?!

So if you are reading this and you feel some joy is evading you, listen online to some of these women, or even men (feel free to tell us who they are with a comment) and oh wait, Rick Green with Wallbuilders. He also comes to Duncan and visits. There's a guy to listen to. When I was younger, my mom and I would watch Robert Schuller on TV. I can't remember why we stopped. Anyway, if you have someone that you listen to, read or look to for inspiration, I'd love to see your comment and what it is about that person that inspires you.

Here's yet another link on a short article on Cindi. Worth your five minutes.
www.womenforhire.com/be_gutsy/magazine/women_who_inspire_us/cindi_broaddus

No comments: